Neighbourhood Houses/Centres (the generic term) are locally run and operated organisations that bring together people in a given community to respond to issues of importance to them.
This means that within each different and unique Neighbourhood House (united by a shared community development approach) you might see:
- a young parents’ playgroup
- a community meeting to address a local problem
- a volunteer gardening and home maintenance crew heading out to assist vulnerable people
- planning for a community event
- a community shed or garden full of busy people
- a group of people talking over a cup of tea
- a social enterprise providing employment and training to local people
- a multicultural group learning English or
- food parcels and emergency relief help.